Home > DMI Workshop, Uncategorized > What can screen printers print with UV technology

What can screen printers print with UV technology

Although it is not possible to UV print every job, 90% of those normally printed with solvent inks can now be printed with UV inks.
The following questionnaire provides a few of the answers why:
Q. Is it possible to print opaque inks?
A. Yes. Previously, printing opaque UV inks was very difficult. Because of new developments in the UV formulations, we can print whites, blacks and metallics that compare favorably with solvent inks.
Q. Can UV inks be used for vacuum forming?
A. New developments are beginning to make this possible. This was not so in the past as UV inks are not thermoplastic and are normally of a brittle nature. The ink would crack if there are deep depressions in vacuum forming.
Q. Can plastic bottles be printed UV?
A. Yes, if the bottles are made of normal bottle type plastics (i.e. polyethylene, polystyrene, polypropylene or PVC etc.)
Q. Is UV ink adhesion good on all substrates?
A. Yes, if the surface tension of the substrate is above 38 dynes minimum. However, with surface tensions under 38 dynes, adhesion would be questionable. Therefore, corona or flame treating may be required.
Q. Are UV inks and conventional inks compatible?
A. In theory, they do not like each other; however, there is no reason why you could not combine the two systems to obtain a desired effect. Tests would have to be done to check adhesion between the two inks. When in doubt, consult your ink supplier.
Q. Can UV inks be used on all types of screen printing presses?
A. There are no problems in using UV ink on all types of screen printing presses. However, UV printing requires finer, even deposits of ink lay down. As such, finer meshes and the purchase of a UV dryer are required.
Q. How does UV differ from conventional drying?
A. UV drying is UV curing. As UV inks are 100% solids, there are no solvents present. Therefore, everything will polymerize. When UV inks are exposed to ultraviolet light, a reaction takes place which causes the total ink film to become a solid mass.
Q. Can UV be printed onto most substrates?
A. Yes. With the evolution of inks and dryers, UV printing on the most difficult substrates, such as metal, aluminum, polyethylene, mylar, foil, polystyrene, polypropylene, A.B.S., PVC, ceramic and glass, offers excellent printability.
Q. And finally is UV ink economical compare to solvent?
A. YES, YES & YES as I said earlier that UV ink even if bought at Rs. 1200/- per kg is 60% to 70% cheaper if compare to dirt cheap solvent ink of 350/- per kg plus there are many other advantages which you calculate it can even work more than 100% cheaper compare to solvent ink.
If you get a suitable UV ink for your job then immediately FORGET solvent and go for UV and make huge profits.
Have a great day…
Bhargav
Advertisements
  1. vishal mehta
    March 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm

dear bhargavbhai,

i know that the letter head print in uv inks, but i have a confussion abt this,
    their’s any issue after uv printed letter head will be reprint in laser printer,
    b’caus my client ask me abt that ???

if you have good solution for that pl. tell me, so i can convince my client to go only for uv printing in there full stationary.

with regards,
    vishal mehta
    tangent imprints

• March 25, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Do you want to print thru laser printer on UV inks which you screen print?

If this is the correct question then kindly check for adhesion I feel its difficult to get adhesion of laser ink because it toner based (powder), even its difficult achieve adhesion of solvent inks over UV inks.

We normally print all our letter heads only using UV inks which we use for sending letters, quotation etc. and all those are printed on laser printer or some times used on xerox machine also for multiple copies on color letters. BUT NOT ON UV INKS.

But if you want to laser print anything on UV inks then I feel adhesion could be the major only issue.

Have a great day…

Bhargav

2. March 25, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Q. Are UV inks and conventional inks compatible?

In my opinion — it’s not possible to print anything on UV printed surface with conventional inks but you can surely print with UV inks on top of conventional print.

• March 28, 2010 at 4:04 pm

In principle solvent can adhere on UV inks but it depends what kind of UV ink and what kind of solvent ink. If you ask the manufacturer I am sure they can formulate it as per your requirement.

Maybe no problem on mat or satinated UV ink, but yes it can be difficult on gloss UV inks, especially if too hard (over cured = bad intercoat adhesion): it is more or less similar to solvent ink printing on polyester.

Regards,

Bhargav

3. vishal mehta
    March 25, 2010 at 5:51 pm

sirji,

thanks for your quick response,

i mean to say that,
    1. the letter head was printed in uv ink by printer, in top side company name,
    middle light impression logo, bottom address detail,
    2. now client want’s to print some communication letter (quotation, letter, etc.)
    in his own hp, canon or any laser cartidge printer which he have.
    3. the client ask me that, the uv ink which i print on letter head was effect on
    laser drum, or printer badly, or any issue of print problem by uv inks.
    (that i don’t know)

with regards,
    vishal

• March 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm

We screen print all our letter head and for years we use it in our xerox, inkjet and laser printers and we have never faced such issue. Send me few printed sheets to evaluate unless its difficult for me to judge. Also let me know from which manufacturer you purchase your UV inks and I let me know the type of UV ink.

This maybe an issue if your ink layer is too thick but if you have printed with 120 or 180 mesh than I don’t see much problem but send me some printed samples as I said for my evaluation.

Good night

Bhargav

4. Michel Caza
    March 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I fully agree with Bhargav.
    I decided 1979 that I will use UV systems only. And we already had the inks – one ink for all substrates – to achieve that.
    I always said that – now – every thing screen printed with solvent or water based ink system can be printed with UV systems.
    One UV ink, the Polyflex, allows even deep vacuum forming (35 cm).
    And, last point, I know from the beginning – 30 years ago – that the use of UV inks is cheaper than the one of solvent inks.
    You must simply use the proper technique and take into account the advantages in terms of management (space and energy saving, safety at work, cleanliness, etc.)

Michel Caza