Technical Tips on Screen Printing by Bhargav Mistry, DMI – #2
Q – Important points about screen making room?
- First of all you need proper screen making room with yellow safe lights
- Do not allow outside footwear in the room
- Do not keep any windows in the screen making room
- Avoid outside light to enter in screen making room
- Screens should not be made in dusty open area with bright daylight
- Maintain room temperature around 20℃ to 23℃
- Maintain consistent humidity around 55 to max 60 RH
- Clean flooring with vacuum cleaner twice a day
- Use anti-static clothes in the screen making room
- Use anti-static gloves where ever possible plus to avoid contact of hand/fingers on screen mesh
- Use anti-static brush or anti-static soft cloth to clean your positives and screens before coating emulsions
- Use high quality emulsion coating trough
- Use double door system to enter in screen making department to avoid outside lights
- Do not wash screens inside the screen making room
- Screen washing should be outside the screen making room but just adjoining to avoid hardening on unexposed areas
- Screen washing should also be under yellow lights
- Only keep Exposing Machine, Emulsion Coating Machine or Manual Coaters & Screen Dryers in the room.
- Positive storage, artwork, designing etc. should not be in the screen making room
- Do not have overhead fans in the screen making room to avoid dust particle circulation
- Keep machines, tables etc 2 feet aways from the walls so that cleaning of dust within the room becomes easy
Pictures shown below are of our screen making department at DMI… Each room has proper safe yellow lights, no windows and fully air-conditioned with clean flooring.
I will soon post different layouts of a typical screen making department and how should be the optimum area required for easy movement of screen frames.
Always remember screen is the heart of printing, good quality screen delivers good quality prints. But to achieve good quality screens you also need modern & high class screen making department. That’s the most essential.
NOTE: Kindly rate each post and also send your comments to help us improve on contents and topics