Technical Tips on Screen Printing by Bhargav Mistry, DMI – #6
Tips on squeegee blade (squeegee rubber)
- Maintain a reasonable gap between the squeegee edge and inside of frame
- Short gap will negatively affect print quality, performance, uniformity of ink deposit; and it also shortens the life of stencil, fabric & squeegee
- Squeegee should be only 2” bigger than the print area i.e. for printing 30” wide squeegee should be 32” only
- Keep ends of the squeegee rounded to get good registration and uniform ink deposit
- Always maintain sharp squeegee while printing and use squeegee sharpener regularly.
- Storage of squeegees is also very important. Its advisable to store the squeegees vertically (squeegee rubber side up) and ensure no objects are in contact during storage.
- Good air circulation is also recommended to keep the squeegee dry after cleaning with solvents.
- Do not use aggressive solvents to clean the squeegees
- Do not wipe the ink from the squeegee after printing with any sharp metal or hard materials. This can damage the squeegee edge.
- Do not print squeegees with one edge for longer period always use both edges after few hours or impressions to maintain the edge sharpness and parallelism
Finally I would to remind you to register for my next Graphics workshop schedule in June 12 to 14, 2017.
This time you will learn all about linearisation right from pre-press to screen making to screen printing including colour management system, digital workflow, ICC profiling and digital proofing on Inkjet Printer before final screen printing. Everything will be displayed live.
Plus for the first time you will also learn all about Monitor Calibration, Digital Proofing & Certification.
Enjoy and have a nice weekend.