Tips on squeegee blade (squeegee rubber)
- Maintain a reasonable gap between the squeegee edge and inside of frame
- Short gap will negatively affect print quality, performance, uniformity of ink deposit; and it also shortens the life of stencil, fabric & squeegee
- Squeegee should be only 2” bigger than the print area i.e. for printing 30” wide squeegee should be 32” only
- Keep ends of the squeegee rounded to get good registration and uniform ink deposit
- Always maintain sharp squeegee while printing and use squeegee sharpener regularly.
- Storage of squeegees is also very important. Its advisable to store the squeegees vertically (squeegee rubber side up) and ensure no objects are in contact during storage.
- Good air circulation is also recommended to keep the squeegee dry after cleaning with solvents.
- Do not use aggressive solvents to clean the squeegees
- Do not wipe the ink from the squeegee after printing with any sharp metal or hard materials. This can damage the squeegee edge.
- Do not print squeegees with one edge for longer period always use both edges after few hours or impressions to maintain the edge sharpness and parallelism
Finally I would to remind you to register for my next Graphics workshop schedule in June 12 to 14, 2017.
This time you will learn all about linearisation right from pre-press to screen making to screen printing including colour management system, digital workflow, ICC profiling and digital proofing on Inkjet Printer before final screen printing. Everything will be displayed live.
Plus for the first time you will also learn all about Monitor Calibration, Digital Proofing & Certification.
Enjoy and have a nice weekend.
I am writing this blog after watching few videos on YouTube about “Art Workshop” conducted by the Slovak Screen Printing Association headed by my friend and member of FESPA, LUDOVIT BARTOS. This kind of regular workshops are being supported by FESPA.
After watching all the videos and photos I just called LUDOVIT BARTOS on phone to compliment him and his association for conducting such creative workshop for students to promote screen printing and serigraphy (art screen printing).
As I was going through their activities I found very interesting and amazing photos which I would like to also share with you.
You can click on any photos below to see complete album
In such workshops learners are able to see themselves how the designs created by them are transformed into print – be it on paper, plastic, wood or fabric/t-shirt. Such live serigraphy workshops can stir our creative minds.
I can also see many students learning screen printing to reproduce their creative work by ‘driving the stencil directly onto the mesh”, what is also called as the ‘á la prima’ technique’.
In India, NID (National Institute of Design), with its headquarters in Ahmedabad, in the state of Gujarat also conducts similar training programs for graphic students.
The students of Graphic Design create a wide range of designs and they are taught the screen printing process to transform their creative input into beautiful output (prints).
At NID also they never encourage students to do designs on a computer. They are supposed to learn graphic designing by hand work like it used to be any other design and Art schools.
This way students are allow to creatively think, create/make original artworks (instead of copying from the internet), and bring it onto print by screen printing.
I also complement National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad, for being India’s first printing institute to have an in-house advanced screen printing set up to teach students the great Art called Serigraphy.
Keep your creative mind active this weekend.
What makes LUMINAR special? It’s unique PRESETS, FILTERS & LAYERS makes all the difference.
Today we all have camera 24×7 with us and we keep on shooting photos from our mobile phones and we love to share them across various social media platforms or use for our private or business purpose.
But most of the time we struggle to get good pictures due to various reasons, lack of photography knowledge or poor camera or bad lighting conditions etc.. So the photos we shoot are never good to share, which alway discourages us.
In general very few of us can edit photos using various high end photo editing software available in the market today due to lack of knowledge & experience.
So with LUMINAR’s simple and easy to use PRESETS & FILTERS you can now edit your photos with just few clicks and impress the world.
Even if you never tried any photo editing software in your life download LUMINAR today and try their unique PRESETS & FILTERS and I am sure you will always love to editing your photos first before sharing with others.
The best part of LUMINAR is that each PRESETS are editable so you can tweak the photos as per your flavour.
And you can also use it as a plugin with Photoshop & Lightroom to further enhance your creativity.
And here’s the good news!
DMI has managed to get a special offer from MacPhun for all my students, DMI workshop participants, Grafica customers and friends.
The special offer to purchase Luminar + Presets worth $30 for FREE (approx Rs. 2000/-) is as follows:
Total cost of bundle pack LUMINAR + PRESETS = Rs. 6477.00 approx.
Apply special promo code DMI and get 42% discount and save Rs. 2754/- approx.
So the final cost after special discount is Rs. 3723.00 approx.
The reason why I am mentioning approx. is because if you purchase the software in Indian Currency then the cost mentioned above might vary a bit due to exchange rate difference and time of purchase.
If you are living outside India, don’t worry you can still purchase the software in USD or in your default currency. The special code DMI remains the same.
So what are you waiting for download LUMINAR today and impress the world with your photos.
Follow this link to purchase LUMINAR + FREE PRESETS
USE PROMO CODE : DMI to avail the special discount
Because now you won’t need too much skill, knowledge & experience to edit your photos using LUMINAR
Once you purchase this software don’t forget to share your photos with me.
So spend this weekend editing your photos with LUMINAR before you share them to impress the world and your loved ones.
Q – Why is my direct emulsion stencil breaking down during printing?
Underexposure (the most common cause of stencil failure)
Use an exposure calculator to determine proper exposure time.
Screen not fully dry before exposing
Use proper screen dryer after coating emulsion and give enough time to dry before exposing.
Screen not fully dry before printing
After developing let the water to completely evaporate before sending the screen for production. If possible keep screen in dryer for min 20 mins @40℃ after developing
Too many coats (wet-on-wet) will increase the emulsion build up drastically and slow down emulsion dry. Reduce number of coats (wet-on-wet).
Use yellow safelights. Insufficient degreasing or degreased screen must have been touch by naked hands/fingers.
Screen Tension too low
Use the screen tension recommended by the mesh manufacturer.
Emulsion thickness too low
Ensure that the emulsion build up is proper apply multiple coats or emulsion solid content too low.
Emulsion not compatible with Inks
Use water resistant emulsion for Water based Inks and use Solvent Resistant Emulsion for Solvent Based Inks.
Too much squeegee pressure
Reduce squeegee pressure and reduce off-contact distance (distance between screen mesh and substrate). To high off-contact also increases squeegee pressure.
Screen is clean to often
Do not let the ink dry in the screen. Flood/Fill the mesh after each print stroke. Do not use fans on the top of the print area. Use less aggressive solvents to clean the screen. If the ink is becoming too tacky this can also lead to emulsion break down. Use screen hardeners to increase the resistance and durability of the emulsion.
Emulsion not stored properly or outdated
Always store the liquid emulsion in a refrigerator temperature between 20℃ to 23℃. Write the date on the can after sensitised. Dual Cure Emulsion has to be consumed within 1 to 3 months depending on storage and manufacturer. Single Component ready to use emulsions generally last for 6 months to 1 year depending on storage and manufacturer.
Ensure that diazo is thoroughly mixed into the added water, and then into the emulsion. Use only recommended amount of diazo. Always stir diazo in the emulsion very slowly and use only after one over night or 12 hours after mixing.
Upcoming DMI Workshop on Commercial, Graphics, Industrial, Packaging, Print Finishing & Special Effects Screen Printing
I am excited to announce about my upcoming workshop on GRAPHICS, INDUSTRIAL, PACKAGING, PRINT FINISHING & SPECIAL EFFECTS SCREEN PRINTING application on:
DMI has successfully completed 10 years in 2016 and all these years whenever we conduct any workshop our challenge was always to demonstrate new and latest techniques which should be way ahead in all terms.
In the past I had demonstrated many innovative techniques live at DMI. Here are few important ones:
Micro Embossing also known as Refractive Designs by screen printing
Special Effects Inks & Varnish on packaging & commercial printing
ICC Profiling and colour management system in screen-printing
Demonstrated process colour screen-printing on various rigid substrates
2nd Generation FM Screening in graphics & textile screen printing
So in my upcoming workshop you will learn 10 new and improved techniques:
- Now a days in DMI we say “Once upon a time there was a moire in screen printing”, yes its true. Since 2015 we have completely stopped teaching/demonstrating traditional halftone technology because that’s one of the main reason why we get Moire problems in screen printing. At DMI we believe halftone printing is an outdated technology in certain areas and applications like advertising, poster, signage, garments & textile printing and some industrial printing applications where you want to achieve smooth gradients without MOIRE.So welcome to the world of DMI and learn how to print Stochastic Dots (2nd generation FM Screening), an alternative solution to achieve MOIRE FREE SCREEN PRINTING. With this technique it will be difficult for you to differentiate the printed job whether its screen or digital printing. Now with 2nd generation FM Screening you can achieve digital like quality through screen printing. A complete workflow right from designing to screen making to printing will be demonstrated to achieve this result.
- ICC Profiles & Workflow from artwork/designing to final PDF. What are the important criteria and settings to make a proper PDF file for printing.
- Practical demonstration & workflow how to linearise Positives, Screen Making & Screen Printing Press.
- Practical demonstration how to create your own ICC Profiles for your inks and printers.
- For the first time we shall display LIVE how to CALIBRATE and VALIDATE Monitor and Printer so that “WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET” (WYSIWYG)
- Learn all about digital proofing & validation of the proofs in details. This is a very helpful topics for designers and all kind of printers who outsource their jobs and even who has in-house printing. The challenge every printer or designer faces today is standardisation and repetition accuracy of jobs e.g. if one particular PDF file is given to 10 different printers, even if they all use same machines, screen or plates in case of offset printer, paper and inks still all those 10 printers will produce different colours. The main reason behind this is lack of knowledge and understanding of Colour Management System. So you will learn all this in details to achieve perfection.
- Introducing for the first time in DMI, non PVC BASED, ECO-FRIENDLY water based inks for GREEN SOLUTIONS/APPLICATIONS. Water based inks can be also used in various products and application such as packaging, wedding cards, paper bags, cotton bags, serigraphy/art screen printing etc. etc…
Serigraphy/Art screen printing on hand made papers using water based inks.
- Learn productive and ideas and techniques to improve your printing quality.
- Introducing new special effects UV inks & varnish and how to apply foil on selective areas without foil stamping machine.
The workshop registration is open.
Important Note: After receiving registration for this workshop we will be screening each participants to qualify for this workshop.
There is one exciting offer specially received to DMI which I will be announcing soon.
So till that time enjoy and keep in touch.